WHAT IS BNI?
- A business marketing program that allows one person from each profession to join a chapter. The sole purpose of the chapter is to increase business through a structured system of giving referrals.
WHERE DOES BNI MEET?
- In many chapters throughout the New York City area. Chapter 11, the Millennium Chapter, meets at the Hunt & Fish Club – 125 West 44th Street – Between 6th & 7th Avenue in midtown Manhattan.
WHEN DOES BNI MEET?
- Every week, so that members maintain contact and exchange regular referrals. Chapter 11, the Millennium Chapter, meets every Tuesday at 7 AM.
WHY VISIT AND JOIN BNI?
- Because “what goes around comes around!” People who GIVE business referrals GET business referrals! Visit and see BNI in action!
HOW DO YOU BENEFIT FROM BNI?
- In Many Ways:
- By allowing members the opportunity to present and promote their business to all members in a group exclusively, without competing professionals. Each profession has only one representative per chapter.
- By an increased awareness of your profession from other networking members who will use or recommend your services once they know and trust you.
- By substantially increasing and expanding your business through referrals.
- By exposing your service and knowledge to businesses and success oriented people throughout the community.
- By gaining knowledge about the other members’ professions.
- By using a professionally designed forum to promote yourself and your business efficiently, effectively and economically.
- By routinely meeting with other focused, motivated business professionals.
- In Many Ways:
CAN ANYONE JOIN A CHAPTER?
- We only take one person from each profession. So if you are a residential real estate professional and we already have one, we can refer you to another BNI chapter, or we may help you open a new chapter.
WHAT OCCUPATIONS BENEFIT THE MOST FROM NETWORKING?
- It is not the occupation, it is the individual. The occupation can be anything. All professions can prosper from BNI if you take the time to learn how to target-market and teach your fellow members what you are looking for in referrals.
HOW MANY MEMBERS ARE IN A “TYPICAL” BNI CHAPTER?
- A good mature BNI chapter typically has between 20 and 25 members. Some BNI chapters have as many as 45 members!
ARE THERE ANY OTHER EVENTS BESIDES THE WEEKLY CHAPTER MEETINGS?
- Yes. Member Success Programs, monthly advanced training, and from time to time there are regional workshops and other educational events. Some regions have golf outings and awards banquets as well. Contact the local director for more information or check out the regional calendar on the Manhattan BNI web site.
ARE MEMBERS ALLOWED TO BRING VISITORS?
- You’re encouraged to bring visitors for those occupations that are open. After the visitor has been pre-screened and joins, their profession is then closed. BNI is primarily an invitation-only organization and members only look to invite visitors who are interested in joining BNI.
IF ALL OF THE CURRENT CHAPTERS HAVE SOMEONE IN MY PROFESSION, WHAT DO I DO?
- Contact the local director. You will then be given information on how to start your own chapter.
HOW DO YOU KNOW NEW MEMBERS ARE REPUTABLE?
- The application asks for references, and we have a membership committee that checks them. It’s word of mouth, so before a new member comes to a meeting he or she has spoken to, or been invited by someone in the group. Everyone has to have a sponsor, or one is assigned.
WHAT IF A MEMBER GETS A REFERRAL AND DOES POOR WORK?
- We have an ethics committee and it is imperative that anyone who gives a referral and finds out it was not satisfactorily handled must report that to the membership committee, who will investigate.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO JOIN BNI?
- The annual fees are $499, and breakfast fees are $250. The true investment in considering BNI is not money, but your time. You are expected to attend the meetings, meet and develop relationships with your fellow members outside of the meeting and this all takes a time commitment on your part. BNI is a networking organization and you are responsible to work your new network.